Magnus M. Halldorsson
News and Events 2022-2023
My main research interests are in the design and analysis of algorithms, in particular approximation algorithms for combinatorial NP-hard problems.
My current main focus is on distributed algorithms, particularly for graph coloring problems.
In the past, I have had interests in bioinformatics and biological computing, security, and the sociological aspects of a networked world.
Until recently, the main focus was on wireless algorithmics, particularly on combining rigorous algorithms analysis with realistic models of interference.
Activities (2016 -- 2020)
- Organizing seminar at Dagstuhl on Scheduling, March 2018.
- Organizing a seminar at Dagstuhl on Foundations of Wireless Networking, jointly with Christina Fragouli, Kyle Jamieson, and
Bhaskar Krishnamachari, july 2017.
- Organizing SWAT 2016 at Reykjavik University, June 22 - 24, 2016.
- Organizing WRAWN (Workshop on Realistic models for Algorithms in Wireless Networks, July 29, 2016, co-located with PODC, Chicago, Illinois.
Members of Lab
- Maxime Flin, Ph.D. student, April 2022 --
- Alexandre Nolin, post-doc, February 2020 -- Oct 2022
- Duncan Adamson, post-doc, Sept 2021 -- Sept 2022
- Pétur Ađalgeirsson, M.S. project, June 2022
- Manuela Fischer, post-doc, Sept -- Dec 2021 (Now Lecturer at ETH)
- Murilo Santos de Lima, post-doc, October 2018 -- November 2019 (Now in industry)
- Tigran Tonoyan, post-doc, June 2014 -- August 2019 (Now in industry)
- Christian Konrad, post-doc, Oct 2013 -- August 2016 (Now asst. prof. at U. Bristol)
- Ágnes Cseh, post-doc, January -- August 2016 (Now at Hungarian Academy of Sciences)
- Janne Korhonen, post-doc, January -- August 2016 (Now at IST Austria)
- Marijke Bodlaender, Ph.D. student, September 2012 -- 2015 (Now in industry)
- Kristján Valur Jónsson (Ph.D. from KTH, 2014), Thesis
- Pradipta Mitra, post-doc, 2010 - 2013, now at Google research, NYC.
- Elena Losievskaja (Ph.D., 2009), now at Sidekick Health. Thesis:
Approximation Algorithms for Independent Set Problems on Hypergraphs. Now at AGR
- Unnar Ţór Bachmann (M.S., 2009) :
Online algorithms for t-interval graphs.
- Ragnar K. Karlsson (M.S., mathematics, 2006), Thesis:
Strip graphs. Now at CCP
- Haukur Ţorgeirsson (M.S., 2005), now research professor in Icelandic manuscript studies at University of Iceland.
Some ancient stuff:
- Organized SIROCCO 2012 at Reykjavik University, June 2012.
- Organized ICALP 2008 !, in Reykjavik, July 6-13, 2008. (chair)
- Helped organizing MATCH-UP: Satellite workshop of ICALP 2008
- Invited speaker at
NHC '06 ,
NHC Spring School and Workshop on Discrete Algorithms, Tokyo, Feb. 27 - Mar.
- Subeditor for the Compendium
on optimization problem detailing their approximabilities.
Organized SWAT '96, here in Reykjavik.
Hjalli has some pictures.
- The online version of the English-Icelandic Mathematics Dictionary, now available here.
- Webpage on the Subglacial Volcanic
Eruptions in Vatnajokull 1996 and 1998.
- Colleagues on the web (not updated)
I am currently a professor in the School of Computer Science at Reykjavik University, Iceland. Also a director of ICE-TCS.
After a secondary education in Iceland, I did my undergraduate at University of Oregon, in math and CS, from 1982-1985. Went back and worked as a software engineer for a year. Headed to Rutgers University, originally intending to get a master degree in software engineering, but ended up in 1991 with a Ph.D. focusing on approximation and online algorithms under the guidance of Ravi Boppana.
I then worked at Tokyo Institute of Technology for 8 months, followed by
JAIST for three years in Japan. Since 1995, I have resided in Iceland, first at University of Iceland and since 2007 at Reykjavik University.
I have also had visiting or other appointments:
IBM Tokyo Research labs (1995),
Max Planck Institute in Saarbruecken (1995),
University of Bergen (1997-2000),
Kyoto University (1999, 2007),
Tokyo Institute of Technology (2005, 2013), and
RIMS in Kyoto (2009, 2015, 2018).
The best way to contact me is by email: magnusmh (at) gmail.
102 Reykjavik, Iceland
tel. (+354) 599 6384, fax 599 6301, GSM 825 6384
Last updated 26 Feb 2019